Saturday, March 17, 2012

Irish blood

I called my savvy genealogist father to confirm which lines of our family tree had the Irish blood. I knew about my paternal Grandmother's father being Irish but wasn't sure if anybody else had it in them. My Dad confirmed that Henrietta Clark, my paternal third-Great-Grandmother, was Irish. He can't quite prove it, but we're told by my Great Aunt Emma that she had heard that she sang Irish songs. That's good enough for me. 

Our celebration began with an 8 am breakfast with Mrs. Robinson at where else but at Raymond's! (Chrissy works at 10 in a neighboring town -- that's why so early!)

Yes, reader, I did get Scott babe out of bed!
 

Our local pub, Egan and Sons was opening their doors early for St. Patrick's Day and I had it marked on our calendar. Scott thought I was nuts to want to drink so early, but I remembered when we attended their celebration, 5 years ago, that Scott didn't like the crowded outdoor tent. They were doing the tent again this year, but the outdoor activities weren't starting until at 1 o'clock. I knew it would be tame and calm if we went at 10 am and that's just what we did. We were the second ones to arrive and the first to order Guinness. ♥

A Patch of clover during our walk to Egan's.

How apropos that our bartender's name was Patrick! (fyi - Scott was happy that it wasn't crowded)

 Patrick making the "Car Bomb" for another patron
The Car Bomb:
3/4 pint Guinness® stout
1/2 shot Bailey's® Irish cream
1/2 shot Jameson® Irish whiskey
Add the Bailey's and Jameson to a shot glass, layering the Bailey's on the bottom. Pour the Guinness into a pint glass or beer mug 3/4 of the way full and let settle. Drop the shot glass into the Guinness and chug. If you don't drink it fast enough it will curdle and increasingly taste worse.

 Walking back home: baby with a bark

Our blossoming magnolia tree

 3:55 pm - My girlfriend Michele's Blackberry photo of the Chicago river dyed green!

♣ Our day isn't over! We napped with the Pooch and were rested for our evening in the city to celebrate Katie's 30th birthday. 

 Our first stop, a quick bite at Pop Burger. Our first time and (maybe) last time!

Scott thought they really phoned it in with the hot dog bun for his lobster roll.


Katie's party at The Tippler (under Chelsea Market) -- Such a cool space. I highly recommend it to you guys. We were encouraged to bring friends and I was happy that Deana was able to join us!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos as always capturing the events. Really like the one of Deana and Scott too.
    My St. Paddy's Day was celebrated with one beer..at home, and it wasn't green or black..it was an amber brown and that's it...because I'm a fuddyduddy now, and quite comfortable with it too :)

    ReplyDelete