Monday, August 20, 2012

Historical Happy Hour

I love to try new places in the city and play tourist whenever possible. When Heidi suggested Fraunces Tavern, down in Wall Street, I was immediately intrigued.  Fraunces's website claims they are the oldest building and tavern in New York City. It was built in 1719 as an elegant residence for the merchant Stephan Delancey and his family. In 1762, the home was purchased by tavern-keeper Samuel Fraunces, who turned it into one of the most popular taverns of the day. Though it is best known as the site where George Washington gave his farewell address to the officers of the Continental Army, in 1783, the tavern also played a significant role in pre-Revolutionary activities.



I had the beer of the month -- Celebration Stout, Dublin, Ireland, 7.0% ABV Porterhouse's Imperial Stout "This true imperial stout is beer as black as coal, velvety smooth with notes of coffee, chocolate, and dark fruit. A deliciously luscious libation."

 Heidi and her oysters :-)

 The cheeseburger sliders weren't anything special but the pulled pork are worth coming back for! Yum!!!

 Not all of our food! hehe

 Marie's shot of us

Yvette and Marie

me and Heidi

Kopparberg's pear cider. Reader, this is a VERY special drink. When I was looking over the bar menu at work, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it listed. This is one of Scott Babe's favorite Swedish ciders that he has NEVER, EVER, seen in the states. I had given Marie & Heidi a heads up on my extra excitment of happy hour because I would surprise Scott with as many bottles of it that I could carry!!! (Too bad, the restaurant doesn't allow take home!) Marie tried it and LOVED it. I will have to get Scott to come into the city and enjoy Kopparberg's at Fraunces!

No comments:

Post a Comment