Monday, April 21, 2014

Finding Vivian Maier

I had a girls’ night out on Tuesday, April 8th with my girlfriend photographers in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. :)

Nitehawk Cinema

Brooklyn babies

We watched the new documentary, Finding Vivian Maier, at The Nitehawk Cinema. It was a unique experience with small tables in front of us for our drinks/nibble. So that one would not disturb others during the film, you could write your order down on a piece of paper and place it in the wired spring holder on the table for the waitress to fill.

John Maloof was the one who bought a box her negatives at an auction in 2007 and slowly learned more and more about this eccentric woman. If it wasn't for him, we may have never have known these incredible pictures existed. Vivian was born in NYC in the late 1920s and was a nanny to families in Chicago in the 1950s and ‘60s. She would always have her camera around her neck and take street photography. The mysterious photographer knew she had an eye for images (because of a found letter) but she never showed her work. She did do some printing in her bathroom, but nobody knew of her talent.

*I requested permission on April 10th from John Maloof to include a few of Vivian's photos in my blog but haven't received a reply. I encourage you to check out her stunning work: Click here
The website breaks down her work nicely, under "Portfolios". Learn how to improve your next Instagram selfie by viewing her Self-Portraits portfolio.

After the documentary, we walked to the Wythe Hotel for dinner at Reynard. I knew about this hip restaurant because of Eva’s Instagram posting of her coffee!  The daily dinner menu was AGGRESSIVE. I know everyone thinks I’m a foodie, but I’m not that adventurous. Squab? I had Wendy remind me what that was: Baby bird with bones. Um, no thank you. I went for the burger.

After a delicious dinner we continued our mini Saturday night to the 6th floor bar with priceless views of the city.
View from our table ♥

On the cocktail menu, it said Room - $175. This really caught my eye because I had priced the rooms here for kicks. $400 for queen and $500 something for king. What a deal! I need to bring Scott Babe here for a drink and have a very big handbag for our toiletries. hehe.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting and insightful...thank you Mrs. Muller! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What an exciting life you have!!!

    ReplyDelete