Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014 Dallas + San Antonio

*Delayed posting! I'm working on this in Aug-Sept. of 2016! Yikes! Better late than never!

 We stayed with my lovely in-laws in Fairview, Texas for 4 nights and then flew to San Antonio for 3 nights.
  Tuesday, Nov. 25th:
Ziva relaxing in the backyard. 

Ziva loves ice cubes! :)

 Mosaic IPA

Pizza at Cane Rosso in Fariview.

Thanksgiving:

 Scott Babe and his sous chef!


Friday, Nov. 28th:
Scott Babe and I drove 45 minutes south to downtown Dallas to visit The Sixth Floor Museum. Photography wasn't permitted. I encourage anyone visiting Dallas to explore the museum. Very moving. 

After the museum, we drove a few miles for lunch. Pappadeaux was recommended by girlfriend/colleague Marcia. It's a chain restaurant with a bunch of locations in Texas and a few in other states. I recommend it, too!


LOVED. Such a nice touch to add some extra horseradish to the sauce in case I want it hotter!

CHILEAN SEA BASS
Oven roasted sea bass with jumbo lump crab gratin, sautéed spinach & roasted tomatoes

 My trio of some kind of fish, shrimp and crab cake. Delish.

Free dessert! Pecan pie!

Sat. Nov. 29-Tues. Dec. 2
San Antonio

I knew I wanted to check out another Texas city on this trip. I chose San Antonio over Austin because my late Grandmother had raved about San Antonio along with my late Austrian host mother.  One of her exchange students was from there. She was fortunate to visit him in the 80's along with two other students she had hosted.



Do any of you ever use the mini fridges in rooms? I don't think we have, ever!

 We stayed three nights at the Hotel Valencia Riverwalk. Very nice hotel in a perfect location.

Late lunch at Mi Tierra:


 




  Our waiter at Pappadeaux had recommended this place so I squeezed it into our itinerary. Perhaps overrated, but glad we checked it out.

Historic Market Square:



Fresh churros


Scott Babe wouldn't get on it!

The Menger:



Although we weren’t guests of this legendary hotel, we did wander around inside.

Bexar County Courthouse - new Lady Justice and fountain

The River Walk:


It would have been prettier, if we had visited in spring or summer.









Riverwalk at night

Refreshers at The Worm Tequila & Mezcal Bar


We watched the 45-minute documentary about the siege of the Alamo at the IMAX Theater.  I ended up getting very emotional during it.



We were FREEZING! No, I didn't buy the print. :)

San Fernando Cathedral: 


Burial Tomb of Davy Crockett, William B. Travis, and Jim Bowie.




Dinner:

 If I'm not mistaken, I think our friends Cyndy & Jon had recommend Little Rhein Steakhouse to us. Anything German always catches my ear! This was old school and a good steak dinner.

Nice outdoor seating that overlooked the river. Too cold for our liking.

Brunch with Hannah:

I met Hannah via Charlie and Ginger's Instagram account! She was a super fan and I always enjoyed her pics of her roommate's kitty, Indy! Below are the pics I took on our 20 minute walk south to our brunch hot spot!





The Monterey:


Hannah and me.




Brisket hash, soft farm egg, seasonal vegetables.

Fried green tomatoes, two farm eggs over easy, cheddar cheese spread, Crystals hot sauce hollandaise, green onion.


Even a kitty at brunch!

*I would have highly recommend The Monterey to you all, but they permanently closed a year after we ate there. (Coincidentally on their 5th anniversary. I bet they would have done better if their location was more central. This seemed off the beaten path.)
If I get back to San Antonio, I will try their sister restaurants:
Hot Joy
Barbaro

After brunch:
We didn't stop here, but it does look cool, huh?


Cute home

Liberty Bar:

We did however, stop here for a refresher!  

Ocho at The Havana hotel for dinner:



 
  I don't have a picture of my entree, but it was one of the best dinner's of my life. I ordered:
POLLO ENVUELTO 18
Achiote-marinated Chicken Wrapped in Bacon, Roasted Sweet Potato Puree,
Pan-Seared Caramel Soy Green Beans
(I see that it is now 20 bucks. Worth the extra 2 dollars!)
Check out their website for pretty pics.

La Villita:

Another entrance!







 Shop kitties!!!

Lunch:



 
This was good eats without the frills!

Dinner:

Our last meal in San Antonio was at Biga (just a 5 min walk from our hotel) and it was excellent.

Grilled pork tenderloin with spaetzle, tangy red braised cabbage, Rebecca Creek goat cheese, Riesling apple sauce.

The end ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment